Monday, May 28, 2012

Living by the Book

I'm currently reading a book by Howard Hendricks titled "Living by the Book".  In it he discusses how essential it is for us as Christians to be studying our Bibles.  The purpose of the Bible is to bring about spiritual growth in us.  Hendricks states it this way...

     The Bible was written not to satisfy your curiosity but to help you conform to Christ's image.  Not to make you a smarter sinner but to make you like the Savior.  Not to fill your head with a collection of biblical facts but to transform your life.

This needs to be our attitude.  So often I approach the word out of a sense of obligation or to become smarter, but my primary objective should be that of transformation.  I love Romans 12 when it talks about "being transformed by the renewing of our minds".  I must continually set his word before my eyes if I wish to be steadily transformed into his likeness.  Psalm 1:1-3 speaks of meditating on the word.

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked 
or stand in the way of sinners 
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers. 

There is something powerful about meditating on God's word.  Not in the new age way that we have come to think of when we hear that word.  That has to do with emptying our minds.  God never commands us to empty our minds.  Instead he tells us to think on things that our pleasing to Him.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Philippians 4:8

I once heard someone say "You know what a man's made of when he is squeezed."  When I am squeezed I want Christ and his Word to exude from me not my sin and selfishness.  That can't happen if I am not continually putting his word in front of me.  May we endeavor to do that today and everyday.



2 comments:

  1. This is so true! God reminded me of this very truth today in Isaiah 66:2...

    "But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Michael. I like how the NIV puts it, "This is the one I esteem". Oh, to be esteemed, or highly favored, by God. That just blows my mind. Even with all of our frailties and shortcomings we can be highly favored of God. It is amazing that he thinks of us that way and that he has chosen us.

    ReplyDelete